EMI at an Electric Power PlantA study was conducted on electromagnetic interference (EMI) measurements at a Midwest electric power plant as it relates to interference with the proper functioning of a worker’s Medtronic CRDM cardiac pacemaker/defibrillator. The power plant operator has an implanted Medtronic CRDM device. Stuart D Bagley, MS CIH CSP of IAQ-EMF Consulting Inc. conducted the electromagnetic field interference (EMI) survey at various locations in and outside of the plant to determine if there was potential for interference with the employee’s pacemaker/defibrillator.
EMI Monitoring ResultsResults indicate some of the EMI measurements taken at the power plant exceeded implantable medical device guidelines for cardiac devices, esp. Medtronic CRDM Pacemakers/Defibrillators including:
- Transmission Lines
- Turbine Room Roof
- Overhead high-voltage power lines on the roadway
- Large and small motors (occasionally)
- Discuss this report with the employee and their cardiologist.
- Restricted areas for employees with cardiac implants.
- Train the employee on the effects of exposure from the source as well as de-energizing and locking out (LOTO).
About IAQ-EMF Consulting Inc.Stuart D. Bagley, MS CIH CSP is an expert investigator in conducting electromagnetic field studies. He is a Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) and a Certified Safety Professional (CSP) with 30 years of experience in environmental health. He has a Master of Science degree in Occupational and Environmental Health from Wayne State University and a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology from the University of Michigan. He has conducted innumerable EMI studies for commercial and industrial employers.
EMF Testing Experts Qualifications
- IAQ-EMF Consultants at EMF testing experts.
- Stuart D. Bagley, MS CIH CSP is an EMF testing expert. He has performed electromagnetic field investigations at electric utilities and power plants located throughout the United States for over 20 years.
- Consultant was an EHS Manager at General Electric Power Generation.
- Board Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) and Safety Professional (CSP).
- Master of Science degree in Industrial Hygiene and a Bachelor’s degree in Biology.
- Conducted numerous electromagnetic field investigations at client sites throughout the United States.
- Extensive knowledge of heart device standards and testing methods including Boston Scientific, Medtronic, and Abbott Medical CRM standards.
IAQ-EMF Consulting Inc., the testing experts, we test for electromagnetic field interference (EMI) for workers and patients with medical devices such as deep brain stimulators (DBS) as well as pacemakers and defibrillators. Consulting experts since 1990.
A study was completed this past week for a computer-server facility. The purpose was to test for EMF, electromagnetic fields. 🧲 Mission completed.